Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Bill Curry ineterview

Here is an interview with an NFL legend,Bill Curry.

1)Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I am a seventy one year old person who has been blessed in many ways. I am have been married to a wonderful woman for fifty one years, and we somehow love each other more now than ever before. Carolyn is the light of my life. Our family includes two grown, married children and six grandchildren. We treasure every moment with them. I was raised by thoughtful, caring people in the Christian tradition. We were taught to respect all faiths and all people, and I do not subscribe to the notion that one religion has all the answers. This past fall was the first season in 58 years that I did not have a fulltime job in the sport of football. Needless to say it was a time of adjustment, but one filled with happiness since I could be with family and friends on a regular basis at their events, rather than “my” team’s events. All my career I have spent my time and energy seeking to serve my student-athletes, and many of them remain in touch, and that is an added joy.

2) How did you start your career in football?

Involuntarily! I went out in high school (eighth grade) and hated every minute of football. I would have quit except for my father. He had not made me go out, but did require that I finish what I had begun. All I wanted was to pitch for the NY Yankees. As time passed I began to see that my only route to Yankee stadium was through hiking a football, and I began to love my teammates, the huddle, and the demanding contests. I did indeed play in Yankee Stadium, only not in the pinstripes, and not with a round ball! (The Giants used to play home games there, and we played against them when I was with the Baltimore Colts and Houston Oilers. Each of those teams has obviously moved.)

3)How did you feel coming in to the first Super Bowl as the starting center?

We were excited, and ready to play. I was injured and had to leave the game, but it was great fun for our team. Kansas City was better than anyone imagined, but we had a great football team and Coach Lombardi was in rare form.

4)What does it mean to be the first super bowl winning center?

I don’t think it means very much as a specific experience. There were many years of NFL football before we started calling the championship “Super.” In the minds of modern culture there is an unhealthy disconnect, as if nothing counts that occurred prior to 1966. I think it is very unfair to the men who came before us and established the NFL.

5) In the Super Bowl against Joe Namath was the team scared to play him,especially after he'd guaranteed he'd win that season?

Joe is a good guy and a friend of mine, but we laughed at his saying such a thing. Our record was 15-1 at the time, and Jets, while they were a good team, were not awe inspiring. They beat us because they played well, and because we turned the ball over again and again, not because Joe predicted it. We beat them the next four times we played, but nobody knows or cares.

6) What did it mean to you becoming the Coach of the same college you attended?

It was awe-inspiring. Georgia Tech has a great tradition of scholarship and excellence on and off the field. We had fallen on hard times, and the responsibility to bring the program back to respect was a powerful obligation.

7) As a coach, did you realise new aspects of the game that you didn't see as a player?

I was terribly underprepared to be a head coach, and had to learn every day. There was so much I didn’t know! There is still a great deal I don’t know.

8) Do you wear your super bowl rings daily? Is it your most cherished item from the NFL?

I do indeed love the rings, because they symbolize my teammates, and the synergy we were privileged to build. Sadly, my fingers are so swollen from arthritis I can no longer wear them. I look at them and remember my buddies. The friendships are the most cherished aspect of the NFL experience.

9) Do you have any of your own or other players memorabilia from when you played?

I have a few footballs, jerseys, helmets, bowl watches, and programs.

10) What advice would you give someone attempting to pursue a career in football? 

Be very careful. We are learning more every day about brain trauma, and its devastating consequences. Know what you are getting into. Football has become a twelve month obligation because of the training required. Be sure the coaches are people of character, and that they teach eternal values, including respect for all people. They will leave their marks on every child…for better or worse.

11) Is there a way fans can contact you for autographs or just to talk?

I can be contacted through our website: www.billcurry.net. I am always happy to communicate if possible.